Home Safety Tips
If you’re traveling:
- Get an automatic timer for your lights
- Ask a neighbor to watch your home, shovel snow, and park in the driveway from time to time
- Don’t forget to have mail and newspaper delivery stopped. If it piles up, it’s a sure sign you’re gone.
If you’re out for the evening:
- Turn on lights and a radio or TV so it looks like someone’s home
- Be extra cautious about locking doors and windows when you leave, even if it’s just for a few minutes
- Don’t display gifts where they can be seen from outside
If you’re shopping:
- Stay alert and be aware of what’s going on around you
- Park in a well-lighted space, and be sure to lock the car, close the windows, and hide shopping bags and gifts in the trunk
- Avoid carrying large amounts of cash; pay with a check or credit card whenever possible
- Deter pickpockets and purse snatchers. Don’t overburden yourself with packages. Be extra careful with purses and wallets. Carry a purse close to your body, not dangling by the straps. Put a wallet in an inside coat or front pants pocket.
- Teach kids to go to a store clerk or security guard if you get separated